Thursday, February 14, 2013

Our Hydrops Miracle

Its been a whilwind of a week. On Monday, 2/11, we went to the doctors and decided on a 6am check in time for induction on 2/12. My mom and step-dad were in town and so we spent the day running errands and getting pedicures.

Considering my belly was huge at this point, I was in a lot of pain and truthfully could barely walk, so it was a good thing that I finished working on Friday.

On Monday night I had some problems with my contacts and irritated my eyes so much that I woke in the middle of the night with my eyes swollen shut. Yes, on "birthing day". Fortunately, the hospital called me at 530 am and said that they were booked solid and would have to delay my admission until later in the morning. That gave me time to walk into my opthalmologist's office first thing in the mornign and say "I am having a baby TODAY, so can I please see Dr, Shelley about my eyes?" I think they all thought I was crazy, but I got seen and got some eye drops that gave me immediate relief. We then went across the street to the hospital and got admitted for induction.

The nurses were very sweet and decided to start me off with IV fluids. I know I teased about a "Princess Birth" this go around, but imagine my surprise when they actually gave me a lidocaine injection before the IV....I thought it was a bit overkill, but that is how they do it these days...(better not let our patients know that, haha).

They started fluids and Dr. Lafitte came to chat with us. He was going off shift and that meant Dr. Moore, who delivered Emily, was going to also deliver Auguste. Dr, Lafitte decided after some fluids we would get Pitocin started and when I started having contractions, I could go ahead and get epidural. I have done the natural birthing thing and I actually think it is an empowering experience, but with this birth, I really didn't want to do anything except have baby and focus on his health. 

Then the neonatologist, Dr. Ohning, came around and discussed his thoughts for preparation for Auguste. He felt that due to his past health, we would need to plan a NICU stay despite presentation as he wanted to make sure that once feedings started, the chylothorax did not start to leak causing pleural effusions. He said to anticipate a 4 day stay minimum. He was very nice and knowledgable and we liked him right away.

I started feeling contractions right away with the pitocin and I waiting until they got uncomfortable and then called for my epidural. It was not bad. In fact, it was mild enough that I could always move my feet and even feel contractions, just not the painful intensity of them. My water broke spontaneously a few hours later at 230ish. Our nurses were wonderful and chatty and we talked for a while. Mickey expressed his concern about him coming fast and she explained I owuld probably start feeling pressure. I said "I feel some pressure now, actually". We kept chatting about our dogs and our kids, and I said "yes, I feel a lot of pressure". She said "would you like me to go ahead and check you now?" My response..."Oh, I suppose, that is if you want to?".

Well, good thing she "wanted to" because she said " well, it looks like its time, there he is"....this was reminicient of Emily's birth in that they asked me to not push at all. About 7 people from neonatology gathered in the room, the nurses set everything up...everyone was there and ready...except....

Dr. Moore!!! He was on his way, of course, but we were actually not sure he would make it in time, as no matter what, Auggie was on his way out. The nurse put her best smile on and said, "don't worry, I can do this is I need to and the neonatology team is here". Dr. Moore made it just in time, he put on his gown and I did not even have to push, he just grabbed his head and pulled him on out and had me do one push for his shoulders...craziness!!!!

Now, the moment I had been waiting for...I watched as Dr. Moore flipped him around like a doll and then we heard it...the cry...the beautiful cries of a healthy, breathin, Auguste!!!!!

His APGAR scores were perfect and the only abnormality they could find was assymmetry to his left hand that seemed to be swollen, possibly from the lymphatic leak. Before they were going to take him to the NICU I said, "would you mind if I tried to see if he wanted to nurse?" Dr. Ohning said yes, and that they would give us 20 minutes with him, although he actually gave us nearly an hour before he returned to take him. He weighed 8 lbs, 1 oz and was 20.5 inches long. He nursed immediately, and we had a beautiful time with him.

Currently we are in a NICU suite where he is still on monitors, but he is in a room with me, and I am giving him all of his care. He is nursing and pooping and peeing and presenting like a "normal baby". His hand is still swollen and it is unclear if it is edema that will resolve or chronic lymphadema, but today it actually is improved. He passed his hearing test today as well. 

The team rounded today and said that his Echocardiogram that was done at 16 hours old showed PDA (Patent Ductus Atreriosus) which is common in infant and basically means the ductus arteriosis is not closing fully, and usually resolves on its own. The Echo also showed pulmonary hypertension, which is likely due to the pleural effusions he had for so long. This finding was a bit more scary to me, this is often found in babies with lung issues, but not usually ones like Auguste who is on room air and sating 100%...but cardiologist (Dr. Patel, who works with Austin Raunicker, who did Auguste's fetal echo and was so encouraging to us) came and told me she is unconcerned at the present. She said it is not routine to check echos in the first 24 hours of life and that if they did, they would likely find it present more often. 

Tomorrow, they are going to check a repeat echo and also do duplex chest xrays. If all looks good they are going to consider discharging us with close followup. Dr. Ohning said that it is likely they will discharge him as a "normal infant" and he "will have the kind of discharge summary that makes doctors  not believe what they are seeing". He said that he will most likely be "normal" and have no restrictions..."until he is a teen and then all bets are off". 

As of today, my milk is finally coming in and he is eating like a champ...he is very cuddly and loves to be held all the time, his cheeks are the softest and he is absolutely a perfect baby...God has been so good to us!!!

So tomorrow is a big day and we could use some more prayers that all of this resolves just like his hydrops did.

Fornow, let me make a formal introduction:


Auguste Michael Losinski
"Miracle Baby"
2/12/2013 at 1543p
8 lb 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long


  1. So Beautiful!!! Love you guys. :)

  2. I have no words for how amazing he is.
    Congratulations, Lisa. He is adorable. <3

  3. Dr. Moore delivered my littlest punkin' (who is now 10). Love him!!